As the world mourns the death of Dolly Parton this week, I have been thinking about her vast success — not only as a performer but as a businesswoman and philanthropist.
Dolly certainly knew the struggles of poor people, after growing up in a cramped, one-room cabin in Tennessee's Smoky Mountains with her many siblings.
"I saw how my mom and dad struggled, and how they could stretch a dollar farther than you could begin to imagine,” she told Reuters in this interview in 2016. “Even now, if I am thinking about spending a lot of money on clothing or furniture, I think 'I can't spend so much money on one thing; my poor old Daddy could have raised his family five years on that!' ”
Dolly also said money is like the tide: It rolls in and it rolls out: “I often say I had to get rich in order to sing as if I was poor."
From "9 to 5" to “Coat of Many Colors,” her songs are filled with wisdom about work, worth and generosity.
Share the Dolly song that changed how you think about money: onthemoney@thomsonreuters.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment